Friday, September 30, 2005



The Final Years in High School

By: Maria Cecilia Funelas—September 29, 2005

Those were the days when we were young and innocent…those were the days when life did not expect too much from us…the days that taught us to become independent and responsible…we were the high school seniors of Sacred Heart Academy of Novaliches, Class of 1985…

Our final year in high school, our experiences, friends, classes, and teachers have shaped us into the person we are now. The memories we have, good and bad, will always be there for us to look back on. The good times will always bring us happiness, the bad times will always remind us to make the right choices, and the tough times have shown us that we can get through anything…

My high school years have been the most memorable...I strongly believed that high school was an open door into the rest of my life. The last days of my high school came too fast and I could only imagine what would happen next…

I was not as popular as the girls I hanged out with…I was quiet…I was what most called “shy”…but, I gained “the respect” just to be a part of them…I thought I was just like any normal high school girl…I had a few “crushes,” which most of them really “crashed.” I was good in school…I remember Ms. Apayao saying during the graduation exercises that I was “a consistent member of the top 5” in my senior year…

I have always thought that during those days, being “popular” meant a whole lot to most…I was barely making it into the “in crowd,” but I have the right size paper to spare…the right amount of pencil and ballpoint pen to share…good enough homework for some to copy…a good heart to make notes for some…a smile from ear to ear to share with everyone…

I always remember the good times…the times when Tess, Cherrie, and I were late for our CAT (Citizen Army Training) Graduation…Tess and I did not even know we were getting a medal…I cannot recall what it was for, but I have it stored in my memory box still…

Those were the days, indeed…there were lots of laughter and joy that we shared…there were also tears…tears of joy and sadness…we have weathered many things…and now that some of us are living in different parts of the world, we are weathering the distance…it is the least thing we can do…

…pictures with a thousand words…these depict stories of the past, but reveal what lies ahead…the memories remain…the future beckons…here I am now...twenty (20) years later…

I smile to you now…and wish all of you that “the best is yet to come.”


~~~~~~~Fin~~~~~~

1 Comments:

Blogger Maria Funelas said...

I remember writing this blog...that was 9 years ago...

-HRH Princess Maria Cecilia Gonzalez Alfonso

4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home